Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Revisiting old friends...

Sometimes I find it difficult to re-read a book, I remember too much of the plot and it makes it hard to get back into the story. However certain books, after a decent period of time can easily be re-read, and re-read and so on. In this case it's American Gods by Neil Gaiman, one of my favourite writers, and one of (in my opinion) his best novels.
It's a fantasy novel, a blend of old world mythology and the modern with its cast of old gods in a new world, fighting to survive when no one believes in them anymore. It's complex and sprawling, but not too hard to follow and the character of Shadow is sympathetic and sometimes I feel as confused as he is with the strange things happening around him that make no sense and aren't always explained. Anyway it's a great book, and probably benefits from a repeated reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment